Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.


I use Leonardo Da Vinci's 15th century old quote to reflect and discuss my thoughts and approach to writing.  What I love about the concept of simplicity is that it can imply beauty, purity or clarity. From a creative or engineering perspective, simplicity lends itself to harmonious design both aesthetically and structurally.  Consider how it would appear if we were to apply it to our communication style. We would first need to overcome our initial fears that a simplistic approach would automatically detract from our message, but beyond that we can begin to look for a balance.  


I like to think of it like this; when we read someone else’s writing we are listening to them - we hear their thinking.  So much of what I read on websites, in advertising and in business documents makes me wonder if people are thinking clearly.  Allow me to explain...

The main problem that I see in writing today, particularly in the business context, is that there is too much information and not enough focus.  We are quick to add complexity to our messages, perhaps through the belief that it adds rigor to our argument and enhances our persuasive influence. The result is a document or article that is utterly confusing.  However, the solution isn’t ‘to dumb down’ the content, but rather ‘to smarten up’.

I have a very simple tip that I can bestow.  Before I write, I ask myself (via my inner monologue) ‘so what?’ and it usually sounds like this: 

This face cream is designed to tone, tighten and firm your skin.
My inner monologue: So what?

This face cream is designed to tone, tighten and firm your skin, reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
My inner monologue: So what?

This face cream is designed to tone, tighten and firm your skin, reducing fine lines and wrinkles.  This will create a younger, more attractive appearance.

This design considers the reader, and what they might be wanting the achieve.  As a closing thought, consider the following:  "How we write positions our message - more or less successfully.  But is also brands us.  It says something about who we are, what we value, how straight we think, how much trouble we take, how dependable we are.  How you write is who you are. So, who do you want to be?" - Tredinnick and Whyte (2010).

No comments:

Post a Comment